Recently I was trying to create a PowerPivot workbook at a client site and when I went to create a new PowerPivot workbook, I received this error:
Initially, I thought it was a permissions issue, and went and checked my access to the provider files located at $:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB. When I saw that I had proper read access, I was puzzled for a few minutes as I couldn’t figure out how to get it corrected. I did a little bit of research and then came across this connect issue:
Curiously, this server did happen to have IBM iSeries drivers installed, and I thought it worth checking out. I went to the machine.config file located at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config, and edited the file in notepad. About halfway down the file I found my culprit:
I deleted the <DbProviderFactories/> stub, saved the file, and then closed and reopened excel. I re-opened PowerPivot, typed in my server name, and then clicked the database dropdown:
Problem solved. I hope you don’t lose as much time on this as I did.